Mata Jito Ji was the first wife of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. she was the daughter of Bhai HariJas a Subhikkhi Khatri of Lahore. The betrothal had taken place in 1673. The father-in-law had desired that the bridegroom should come at the head of a marriage party to Lahore where the ceremony should be performed with due dignity.
The fateful events leading to the martyrdom of Guru Tegh Bahadur intervened and in the changed circumstances it was not possible for the young Guru to go to Lahore. Therefore a temporary encampment was raised near the village of Basantgarh 10 km north of Anandpur and named Guru ka Lahore where the nuptials were held on 23 Har 1734 Bk/21 June 1677.
On 30th March 1699 Guru Gobind Singh created Khalsa at Anandpur. He declared that this Khalsa will be both Saints as well as Soldiers. When Gobind Singh was preparing amrit (nectar) for initiating the Khalsa on this occasion stirring clean water in an iron bowl with a khanda or double-edged sword Mata Jitoji as the tradition goes came with sugar crystals which were dropped into the vessel at the Guru's bidding. Sweetness was thus added to the alchemy of steel. Mata Jito ji was the first Khalsa Woman.
Three sons were born to Mata Jito Ji - Jujhar Singh (14 March 1691), Zorawar Singh (17 November 1696) and Fateh Singh (25 February 1699). Mata Jito Ji raised her three sons on the martyrdom tales of their grandfather Guru Tegh Bahadur and great great grandfather Guru Arjan Dev ji. She told them a Sikh never runs from a battle field. It was because of her teachings that all her three sons attained Martyrdom Jujhar Singh when was only 15 years old fighting with Mughals at Chamkaur Zorawar Singh and Fateh Singh who were only 9 and 6 years old at the hands of Wazir Khan Mughal Governor of Sarhind when the young Sahibzades would not convert to Islam.
Mata Jitoji left this world at Anandpur on 5 December 1700 years before the martyrdom of her sons or the events leading to the battle of Chamkaur. The cremation took place at Agampura near the Holgarh Fort. A memorial shrine now stands upon the spot.